Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Julie

Word has it on Facebook that it is national infertility week. And I keep thinking about my good friend Julie. I was terrified to go the invitro route, but she was pregnant with a baby girl from just that. She talked me through the process, gave me the inside info on all the ups and downs, and encouraged me with her own courage. She even referred me to the reproductive endocrinologist who created all this in a science lab in Newport Beach:


 



Julie's daughter was born about nine months before JD & Maia. Her son was born just 6 months ago. A couple of months ago, we were at the park, letting our kids play and catching up on life. We hadn't seen each other and our three hour play date included laughing, crying, hugs, and chasing our toddlers around mid-conversation. Julie was healthy, happy, strong, and energetic.
 
So I couldn't believe it just 2 weeks later when I got a text from a mutual friend, asking me if I had heard Julie was in the hospital, diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.
 
I haven't seen her since that playdate - she is busy taking care of two babies while battling for her health and her life and her chance to raise those babies into adults - but I have, with thousands of others, been following her story here. For the past six weeks, whenever I've had what I feel is a bad day, I am inspired by Julie's hope, genuine honestly, and courage in the face of what would be a terrifying experience. If you want to be uplifted, read her thoughts and the ways her faith has strengthened from an incredibly difficult time.
 
I don't know if I would have gone through with in vitro if Julie hadn't been there to hold my hand along the way - thanks dear friend. :-) Praying for you and thinking of you often.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment