Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ronald McDonald House

23 years ago I spent a lot of time with my parents and little sister at a Ronald McDonald house, so that we could be close to my twin brothers, who were in an NICU several hours away from our home. I was only 5 and I didn't get what was going on, I thought it was fun, like going on vacation.

Tonight for the first time I am a parent at the Ronald McDonald house. It's so awesome that we can stay here, even though we only live 30 minutes away, that's an extra hour a day I can spend with my babies. Plus I am not ready to go home and be there without them, so it's nice to be here at the hospital. It's a great facility, they have beds and a nice bathroom and snacks and a kitchen. But it is certainly not fun and nothing even remotely close to a vacation.

I think my parents are amazing and such strong people for getting through their difficulties having children and it's interesting how you can never really glimpse how hard someone else's life must be, until you've experienced a little of it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment